Wednesday 7 December 2011

Wizard At Law: Call Of The Wild

September 3, 2011

Hi Guys,

July ended on a sour note as you may have read in my previous post. However, August was remarkably improved, as early on during it I became inspired to write a new urban fantasy.

I don't know where the idea came to me from, certainly there's a little of The Dresden Files in it, and probably a little of a few other wizard series as well, but it occurred to me that while there seem to be wizard detectives around, there's no such thing as a wizard lawyer, and so Thomas Crow, Wizard at Law was born.

The idea is simple, that there live beside us and among us many magical people, wizards and warlocks and so forth who use magic, and wolves and gorgons and many more who rather are magic. Naturally these people want to remain unnoticed among us, and so they formed a powerful society called the Circle, and set up laws by which all the members must live. Now this is not new. What is new is that while laws need to be enforced, thus requiring agents and detectives and so forth, those caught breaking them need to be charged and tried. That requires a lawyer.

The book, actually a novella at 40,000 words, is the story of Thomas Crow's major case of the moment, the defence of a wolf by the name of Hermes, who transformed into his wolf shape in the middle of a crowded supermarket, thus exposing magic to the normals, and then savaged a mother and her small child in his frenzy.

I really enjoyed writing this, I must have since I stopped writing everything else and focussed completely on it, and also somehow wrote 40,000 words in only a month. I enjoyed exploring the world and slowly but surely fleshing out some of the details of it. And given the nature of the story, I fully expect to write a few more Wizard at Law stories over the comming year.

In the mean time, I hope that any of you who read the first book in the series, let me know what you think. And equally I am on the look out for new cases my wizard can defend. So if you have any ideas?

Cheers, Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment